KNOW THE DANGER SIGNALS OF THE CULTS & WHAT THEY REJECT
Six Major Danger Signals
1. Abuse of Authority – they ‘kill’ what faith one may have in the Bible, church, family, government, etc.
2. Abuse of Time – keeps one in a state of tiredness (even exhaustion) by keeping one working, working, working, at all hours of the day and night.
3. Abuse of Money – keeps one in a state of poverty and dependence by taking away ones wealth (to own material things is to be independent), no matter how much or little that might be.
4. Abuse of Discipline – keeps one in a state of fear that others may report what one does, or says on matters, to the leadership. For example, Jehovah’s Witnesses at times even report on their own family members conduct to the leadership (e.g. going to certain movies, being seen with the wrong people)!
5. Abuse of Sexuality – keeps one in bondage to the group by forbidding what is natural, or at times encouraging loose morals (usually at the leaders pleasure).
6. Abuse of Intimacy – keeps one in isolation to the group by discouraging contact with family and friends who show no sign of joining with one. Denying a person social contact outside the group blocks free thinking.
CULTS THAT CLAIM TO BE CHRISTIAN WILL ALWAYS REJECT…
The Authority of Scripture – cults almost always have extra-biblical “revelations” that are more authoritative than Scripture. For example, the Latter Day Saints (LDS) have their Book of Mormon; Jehovah’s Witnesses (JW’s) have their Watchtower Publications; Seventh-day Adventists (SDA’s) have Ellen G. White’s writings, and so on. What all this means is that the Bible, which is the Word of God is not sufficient for our needs today! Notice what Scripture says of itself in 2nd Timothy 3:16-17.
The Deity of Christ – the word ‘deity’ simply means exactly what the Bible says about the Lord Jesus Christ in Colossians 1:9 & 2:9, that He was God manifest in the flesh. The JW’s teach that Jesus Christ was created by God (because God was all by Himself and lonely!) and is the Archangel Michael. The SDA’s believe that Jesus is Michael also.
The Cross of Calvary – cults always relegate the significance of Christ’s vicarious death to be of no value for the individual today! Many teach that all His Crucifixion achieved was to fulfill an Old Testament law of ‘an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth’. Their understanding is that Christ’s life only paid the penalty for the sin of Adam.
The Blood Atonement – cults teach that the sacrificial shed blood of Christ has no meaning or relevance for mankind today. The truth is that Christ’s blood atoned for the sins of mankind and can be appropriated freely by God’s grace by every man and woman, boy and girl (see Hebrews 10:12-22)